When I open up a file from a network binder, Word always opens it in readonly fashion. How to terminate Office from doing this. I desire it to just open it equally normal and I don't demand function to do whatsoever security procedures.

Any thought how I tin get this resolved?

Malvineous

ii,261 two gold badges 21 argent badges 32 bronze badges

asked Oct 31, 2013 at 6:39

  1. Run the Office 2010 application with the trouble. Discover that this procedure has to be done individually with each of the applications in MS Office suite (corking!).
  2. Click on the Office button on the upper left-hand corner and select "Options"
  3. In the "Options" dialogue box, select "Trust Eye" (on the left)
  4. Click on "Trust Center Settings" (on the right)
  5. Select "Protected View"
  6. Disable whatever of all the protected view options by unticking the check boxes.
  7. Click OK when done.

From http://quantumtunnel.wordpress.com/2012/xi/21/microsoft-function-2010-effect-with-opening-files-as-read-only

P.Due south. Practice you have write permissions?

answered Oct 31, 2013 at 8:17

2

Go into Word Options there's a check box under Starting time up options: Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view. Uncheck the box and click OK. This should remove the readonly.

answered Feb 8, 2022 at 20:49

Effort turning off the Preview Pane and Details Pane in the File Open dialog box from within the Part application. If you are opening the files directly from Windows Explorer, try turning off the Preview Pane in Windows Explorer as well.

At that place seems to be an issue with the Preview Pane issuing a temporary lock on the file in order to preview its contents. If the file is opened while this lock is in place, it volition open in read-only mode. The trouble is worse with larger files over slower network connections.

For more than information, and other possible solutions/workarounds, visit The Definitive 'Locked File' Post.

answered May half dozen, 2022 at xx:53

I simply went to file properties, and applied Read Simply, and later on that removed over again (click use to take effect). After that, the file started to open correctly.

answered Apr 5, 2022 at x:05

If y'all've tried everything else and it's withal opening as Read-But despite that box not being checked in the properties. Close all instances of MS Word and try again. That was the only affair that ended up working for me.

answered Dec 19, 2022 at 22:48

This mail service solved my trouble, I remember best is to try disabling the add-in, they may cause give-and-take to be opened in safe more than, at least this happened in my case. Please read @DanielJackson's reply in that postal service.

answered Mar sixteen, 2022 at 14:41

Not certain if this is the case for anyone else, as I accept tried and failed several times using the above suggestions. Merely to realise that I opened the file which was in a compressed folder... You might want to check that.

answered May 16, 2022 at five:22

1

If the file was downloaded then right click on the file > Properties and and so unblock it

unblock file

If the file was open directly from network then check the file's permissions

answered Oct 31, 2013 at eight:14

1

If word opens as 'read just' shut it and become to chore manager by alt + ctrl+dlt. and so you volition find a winword file nether process even you close your word file. end this winword and re open your give-and-take file and information technology is non read merely. This worked for me.

answered Feb 27, 2022 at 5:27

Later on dedicating hours of my life to trying every one of the above suggestions, I found the problem was not 'read-only' mode, but 'read' mode!

All I had to do was click on print layout (the open book icon) in the Status Bar on the footer of a Discussion page. At present feeling rather foolish; but am not too proud to tell the story in case others may exist afflicted by the same (hopefully) temporary dumbness.

Merely thanks to all of the in a higher place contributors for their clear explanations. I have learned from them.

answered Jul xix, 2022 at 16:26

I institute that I had a corrupt Excel Add In (Asap Utilities) installed. I re-installed it and the problem (after a few minutes of opening, the files already opened in Excel became 'Read Only) seems to have gone away.

answered Nov 21, 2022 at 9:16

For me it was cured by turning off the 'machine save' characteristic ... Why? Who knows, but it worked.

answered Nov 13, 2022 at 1:45

I have just encountered this problem with Microsoft Excel. The error message was proverb the problem comes from the sharing options. Lo and behold, when I right-clicked my problematic excel file, clicked on share with,then clicked on my username, the problem has disappeared. Now I can happily alter and salve my file. I have just found this solution so at present I only promise it lasts through windows explorer/computer restart. I hope this simple solution works for others every bit well.

answered Sep 8, 2022 at 16:17

  1. Word >>> File
  2. In the "Options" dialogue box, select "Trust Center" (on the left)
  3. Click on "Trust Center Settings" (on the right) Then "Trusted Locations"
  4. Where do you store your files? Add your file directories to the 'Trusted Locations' List

MicroSoft has default locations to store your files. If you store your data elsewhere on your PC or Network, then add together the directories to "Trusted Locations' List and then that your files do not open as protected.

Continue all net and Outlook zipper files protected under the "protected view" department

answered December 20, 2022 at 18:46

My antivirus (Avast) tricked me into accepting some sort of ransomware shield feature which took it upon itself to lock a bunch of my folders including My Documents. This caused the Read Only disaster. I went into Avast|Protection|RansomwareShield and disabled the whole stupid shield (which was too blocking -- er...protecting -- My Photos and a bunch of other folders). MS Word worked fine after that.

answered December xv, 2022 at 17:36

one

Not the answer yous're looking for? Browse other questions tagged microsoft-word-2010 microsoft-discussion-2013 microsoft-word-2016 or ask your own question.